Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 29... Nitrates 40, Nitrites > 10 and Ammonia 3

The growth in the greenhouse is fantastic.

ALL of the red beans that I seeded have sprouted... and not just sprouted... 3" tall.  But there are too many, so I'll have to take some out of the bed and put them in the old raised bed.

The bell pepper is covered with new growth.  Yesterday, I pruned all of the old buds to encourage new buds.

The tomatoes and banana peppers don't have any signs of shock.  I'll know more about those after a few days.

The strawberry is the most amazing.  Planted, seemed to be dead, new center growth and, now, the new leaf growth is spreading out.  Bright green.

The cheapo lettuce is up to 2" tall now.  I will move some of them around the bed once some of them are bigger.

Now for the numbers...
  • ammonia is 3 parts per million (I added an 1/8 cup of ammonia)
  • nitrates are 40 parts per million
  • nitrites are off the scale (>10 parts per million)
  • chlorine 0
  • Baton Rouge water is NOT hard
  • alkalinity is 120 to 180 (ideal)
  • ph is 7.4 to 7.8 (dropped a little)

No comments: