Sunday, February 17, 2013

Need a More Sturdy Siphon

I discovered that my cheap, plastic bottle siphon wasn't ending the siphon.  Why?  The pull of a siphon isn't incredibly strong, but when you weaken the bottle by cutting slots for water flow, it started to bend the feet over time.  The 4 "feet" were bending and lowered the minimum height of the water to where the siphon couldn't break.

It also seems that the constant water flow may have dried out the bed.  I pulled out the siphon and started on a new sturdy one.

I built the standard bell siphon ... no snorkel.  Just a 2" tube, 9" long with a cap.  3 1" slots out of the bottom.  After a monitoring for a few water cycles, the new siphon works as planned.  15 minute fill and siphon.

These are my 3 siphons.  The 2 on the right worked better because the holes on the bottom allowed air into the bottle which helped break the water flow.

No comments: