Sunday, February 17, 2013

Water Heater and Tarp Wrap

With a 6 hour freeze coming last night I went out and bought a grey 9'x11' heavy duty, UV resistant tarp from Harbor Freight.  I also bought a 300 watt aquarium heater from PetCo.

I hung the water heater dead center in the fish tank.  With the tank being made of plastic I can't exactly put it up against the side or bottom of the tank.  If you are wondering.. the tank is 4' long x 3' wide x 3 1/2' tall and contains about 200 gallons of water.

I cut the tarp into 4 equal parts and added grommets to the corners and halfway down the sides. Each piece is 4' 4" x 5' 4".

Using the fish tank opening as the "front", I put 2 tarps on the other 3 sides using the tarps long-ways.  I overlapped them a bit to make a better seal and used zip ties to mount them to the top of the growbed and the bottom of the fish tank.

I used a third piece to cover the "front".  Since I need to be able to get in and out of the tank to test the water or feed my future fish, I decided to use D rings with spring locks on this piece of tarp.  Since the D-rings don't fit around the tote's steel, I made a loop out of a zip-tie around the steel and left it loose enough to connect the D-ring easily.

The tarp is still a little loose and to keep the middle from ballooning out in the wind, I put some cinderblocks at the seams.  It works well.

Now my fish tank looks like it is covered in duct tape.  Picture is coming.

No comments: