Friday, July 5, 2013

New sump, new bio-filter and Louisiana rain


My aquaponics garden doesn't have enough water storage to handle new grow-beds, so I decided to get some drums to extend my sump storage (the black tub to the left of the grey tarped box). The best way to handle a gravity flow system is for your sump to be lower than everything else. That means... dig. 3 thirty-five gallon drums(free) are buried in the dirt. The hole was 3w x 6L x 3 deep.
 
Do you know what happens when you bury empty containers (think cemeteries) in Louisiana? Yep, Wednesday's rain popped them up like corks. I came home to see the barrels floating on top of a FULL 3x6x3 puddle.

I didn't want to clog one of my pumps with mud, so I bailed all of the water out of the hole and shoveled mud until I hit the bottom.

Today, the barrels are back in the ground, full of water and there is about 100 lbs of cinder blocks holding them down! BTW, 105 gal of sump storage.










*


No comments: